Back to News
Type 2 Diabetes - Know your risk
Posted on 17 Nov 2020
If you think you are at risk of Type 2 Diabetes or would like more information, you can complete the Diabetes UK ‘Know Your Risk’ tool (https://riskscore.diabetes.org.uk/start) to register yourself on to the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.
The programme provides personalised support to help people achieve a healthy weight, improve their diet and become more physically active, all together which have been shown to reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the programme is being delivered remotely via group video conference, or online through apps and websites.
Some key facts:-
· Black and South Asian people have a higher risk of getting Type 2 diabetes after the age of 25, compared with those from a White background where risk increases after the age of 40.
· Three in five cases of Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed.
· The health complications of getting Type 2 diabetes can be serious and life changing – this could be loss of sight, loss of limbs, increased risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease.
· A third of people who died of COVID-19 in England had diabetes.
· Your ethnicity alone could put you at risk of type 2 diabetes.
· Over half a million people have been referred into the programme, and those completing the programme who were overweight or obese lost on average 3.6kg, greater than originally predicted.
· Access to trusted information and support is key to helping people manage their diabetes The NHS’s highly successful, world-leading diabetes prevention programme is helping hundreds of thousands of people take small steps to get control of their own health
You Tube channels: